Thursday, April 28, 2011

Another Athlete of the Week!

I'm a hockey guy, always been. I help run the greatest hockey camp in the world, that has the greatest training program in the world. I work with thousands of hockey players during the summer and the season. But I've ALWAYS said, the key to training hockey players is to build athletes first.

For the past three (3) winter seasons, I've reached out to other athletes in the Brainerd Area. Along with the hockey teams, I've helped the basketball boys, football boys, track girls, tennis girls, softball girls, the kicksters and a couple of wrestlers. In terms of work ethic and determination, I've been impressed with all of them. But probably none greater than the group of girls I worked with this spring.

There was a group of 12 girls from three sports (softball, tennis and track) that paid one heck of price. Two (2) days a week, we met at my gym inside the hockey arena, at 6:45a before school started. I don't want to list the names of these girls, for fear of mispelling a name! But each of them had more improvements than I think I've ever seen throughout an entire group. It was a pleasure to work with them!

While reading the paper this morning, I read about another Brainerd Warrior Athlete of the Week.
http://brainerddispatch.com/sports/2011-04-27/warriors-athlete-week-anderson-lights-out-mound
Nikki Anderson was part of the "breakfast club" group that trained at the hockey arena this spring. There is ALWAYS a direct correlation between your training and your sport performance. Nikki was "lights out" in the gym and is now "lights out" on the field. Funny how this all works??

It doesn't matter what your sport is, but it does matter what your training is. You need to pay one heck of price in the gym to get the results that you want. You need to be an athlete first, then improve on your sport specific skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment